Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Artemisian Costuming Challenge

     A short while back there started to be a buzz in the SCA about a challenge issued at Uprising War.  Baroness Maestra Bianca had decided to inspire the members of Artemisia to make at least 4 items of garb for themselves (or a patron) that were done completely within this year (2011) for the sum of $100.00 or less ($200.00 with patron).  The details are here: http://coteduciel.org/challenge.html . 
     Since I was not able to attend Uprising this year, I heard about it second and third hand but it was enough to get me interested.  I asked Bianca about the challenge and she sent me the link above.  Since the Challenge start date was the end of Baron's War (July 25th) and I was still madly trying to finish up preparations for Baron's War and the Elevation of the lovely and talented Serafina Basso, I thought that I would not have a chance to enter.
     Near the end of Baron's War I realized that my project list was fairly empty and that I really wanted to "get in on the action" and fun of this challenge - and to light a fire under my booty to make myself some new garb.  Realizing that I still had time to enter, I madly sent off an email to Maestra Bianca and did so.
     Long story (sorta) short I am going to attempt to sew myself some early Tudor common-women's clothing.  I realize that in the SCA we are all supposed to be at least upper class personages, but as anyone who has gone to a camping event knows it's very hard to DO much in corsets, silk stockings, farthingales, etc. 
     I LOVE the look of this particular kind of garb and also it's extreme usefulness.  It's great for chasing children in and since I have five of these and a grandson on the way that works for me.  It's also very versatile according to the weather.  With a pin on partlet and tie on long sleeves you can go from hot to cold weather garb in a matter of minutes.  I also love the fact that all of the pieces are simple to make and the linen I am going to use to make it is inexpensive and washable. 
     I am NOT a seamstress, probably won't ever be.  Sewing is a chore to me, but I love garb so I'm going to do my best to complete this project, even though I know I will not win anything.  Completion is the goal and I'm very happy with that :)
    
All of this being said, here are the layers I'm going to make:

Underwear:  A new smock, probably of the higher-necked variety.
Main layer:  A front lacing kirtle with partlet and removable sleeves.  Since it's so hot at camping events during the day I plan on lightly boning it so I don't have to wear another under it for stiffness.
Outer layer:  A loose gown or fitted coat of some sort.  I'm still in limbo about this layer.  I think I'll probably take Serafina's suggestion and do a short cloak of some kind.  Now to locate pictures/material for inspiration!
Accessory:  A caul to keep my poor head from being sunburned again :)  Probably not embroidered.  One step at a time is how I have to go with this sewing stuff.

Also planned/wanted, but not necessary to the challenge:

Underwear - I know only some common women wore them at all, but still...
A petticoat.  I love the look of the contrast under the skirt and the shape it gives.
Leather shoes.
A Laurel medallion that isn't too "blingy" for the outfit.

     I'm sure there will be more wants added to the list later, but at least I can say I've started my blog now!  Pics of the work so far will also be added soon.  I went to Serafina's house last Saturday and she helped me fit a mock-up of the bodice so I can start cutting real material ASAP (scary).

Good luck to all with their challenge outfits!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment